Definition: A virtual, living species orchid collection. Grouping orchid collections together as a virtual single collection will be a stronger ex situ conservation effort than separate individual collections.
- Organizing ex situ orchid conservation
- Producing pollen and seed for genetic diversity and safeguarding orchid species
- Strengthen Orchid Society by getting membership involvement in an organized ex situ orchid conservation program.
- Taking pressure off wild collecting
- Replanting in natural habitats
LOC ID example: M-28 The M identifies the owner. The number identifies the orchid plant. The orchid owner assigns the number.
The LOC database is open to all ex situ conservation projects. Use of orchids in the database is at the discretion of the owner of the orchid. To contact an owner of a specific plant use the beginning letters in the LOC Identity Code and @livingorchidcollection.org
The taxonomist field notes if the orchid has been seen by a taxonomist and that the orchid is identified correctly. See below for taxonomist willing to be consultants for the Living Orchid Collection. An orchid does not have to be seen by a taxonomist to be in LOC.
The Database is temporary off line for upgrading and change of webhost.
Dr Guido Braem
Dr. Harold Koopowitz (Paphs and a few African species)
Peter O'Byrne (S.E.Asian genera excluding Paphiopedilums species)